A wise woman recently told me that ‘if it takes away your peace it’s too expensive’ and in terms of thing’s I’m sure she found on Pinterest it really struck a chord with me. I am not sure when exactly I realized that I didn’t have enough emotional or physical energy left for the things in my life that I really cared about, maybe it was when I realized I didn’t feel connected to the organizations I had formerly been so proud to be apart of. Maybe it was when I realized I spent more time in the day worrying and stressing than actually enjoying my life. I’ve recently come to the conclusion that I am not living the life I want to live. I set out with great intentions, I wanted to be a good friend, student, daughter, sister but somewhere along the way I stopped being all of those things and at the end of the day I didn’t like who I was or how I felt about anything.
It was only then that I decided to start living my life the way that I choose. I want to live a life that I’m excited to wake up to in the morning. Now I’m not exactly sure how I’m going to do that or where to start. It seemed impossible when I was dealing with the stresses of school, sorority, and work. These things were the paramount reasons I was stressed and now that the semester has ended and so have sorority activities until the fall I am going to take more time to focus on myself, to become the a person that I’m proud of, a person that I know I can be.
Its no surprise that I am excited that this year is coming to an end. 2016 had a lot of high points but some of the lowest of low points. Somewhere in the middle of all of that I did quite a bit of growing up. I fell in love, moved out of my parents house for the first time ever and joined a sorority. I voted in my first national election and saw the passing of one of my childhood heros. I began this year thinking that being an adult meant handling things on my own; this false sense of independence was quickly realized and I learned I didn’t have to do it all on my own. I learned to rely on the people in my life that love me without feeling like I was worse for it.
While I was reflecting on the year I put together a list of things that I want to do and things that I want to improve on. I then took my list and narrowed it down to three main objectives. These objectives aren’t so much things that can be ticked off a list but ways that I can grow and change my life. Let me know what your resolutions are and your inspirations for 2017. Here we go!
1.Create More: I want to read and write and make more art, I feel like I get wrapped up in life sometimes and forget the things that make me happy and I hope to get back to that this year.
2. Reconnect: Going back to being busy and getting wrapped up in life, I have let a lot of relationships fall to the wayside. I know that in college and in life often times we don’t have time to maintain the relationships we have; this includes old friends, new friends, and family. I want to spend more time reconnecting really up forth an effort to rebuild those relationships.
3. Document More: This can be related back to creating more but I want to be better at documenting my memories. I have a fuji polaroid camera and a little board that I put all of them on and I’ve been making an effort to remember to take my camera with me and take more pictures. Along with visually documenting memories I want to make an effort to write more about my experiences. I used to diary or journal a lot about what happens day to day and I want to get back to that as well.
I’m going to be honest I wish I could enjoy the holiday festivities while I’m shopping for Christmas this year however the best I can do with finals and sorority initiation season in full swing is shopping on Amazon and listening to Christmas music. So if you’re like me and need more inspiration while shopping take a look at the things I’m getting for my besties.
Slippers with Goodies: I love gifts inside of gifts and one of the easiest things to do is get a pair of fuzzy slippers and put a lotion, lipgloss and hand cream inside.
Pajamas: My personal favorites are Victoria’s Secret pajamas; if your bae’s like night gowns, sleep shirts, or flannel suits VS has a ton of great options and they usually have great deals around the holidays.
Coloring Book: There are so many chic options for grown ups now, I would personally get a small seasonal coloring book and a cute pack of gel pens.
Earrings: Personally I am a big fan of a cute pair of Kate Spade earrings. The whimsical designs are adorable around the holidays and everyone appreciates something special.
Spa Essentials: The combinations can be limitless, lip balm and cuticle cream, nail polish and a hair mask, lotion and face masks, this can be lots of fun and more importantly a cheap alternative to something more expensive when wrapped cutely in a mason jar.
So in the spirit of truly capturing everything I use on a daily basis when I am out and about I have just dumped my makeup bag on my floor. Granted I use the products from my vanity in the morning to get ready, these are still the products that I keep ready to go at all times.
Between traveling to and from school for classes and sorority events my Kate Spade bright pink train case is a life saver when it comes to keeping my products together.
- Maybelline- Dream Matte Mousse foundation
- Benefit High-Beam
- Derma-Blend professional Smooth Liquid Cream
- Maybelline- Instant Age Rewind Dark Circle Eraser
- Anastasia- Tinted Brow Gel
- Anastasia- Perfect Brow Pencil
- Urban Decay- Eye Shadow (Sin)
- Loreal- Volumnious Carbon Black Mascara
- Too Faced- Better Than Sex Mascara
- Buxom- Waterproof Smoky Eye Stick
- Stila- Kajal Eye Liner
- Pixi- Endless Silky Eye Pen
- IT Cosmetics-Smudger/Liner brush
- NYX Lip Liner-Muave
- Too Faced Lipstick- Teddy Bear
- Bobby Pins
After a long productive day off the last thing on my mind right now is the fact that tomorrow I go back to work and then back to school and life starts back up. Whenever I need motivation like I do right now I consult my Pinterest and browse my quotes. I’ve compiled a collage of some of my favorites! What motivates you through the week?
Elizabeth Taylor Quote
Polish Proverb Quote
Betta Werk Quote
I Wish Quote